Guatemalan Slang - Vol. 1

Textbook Spanish is just the tip of the iceberg. The fun really starts when you get into the slang. The literal translations of these sayings can be hilarious. (To be of bad fleas?)

Luckily, the folks at www.xelawho.com have posted a handy guide to Guatemalan slang and sayings. I'll be re-posting them here for your viewing pleasure.

Enjoy!

****

Estar de malas pulgas
LITERAL MEANING:
To be of bad fleas.
ACTUAL MEANING:
To be in a bad mood.

Buscar pelos en la sopa

LITERAL MEANING: To look for hairs in the soup.
ACTUAL MEANING: To look for faults in things even if they’re fine.

Consultar con la almohada
LITERAL MEANING: Consult with the pillow.
ACTUAL MEANING: To think about it overnight, or “sleep on it”.

Dar una jaboneada
LITERAL MEANING: To give (someone) a soaping.
ACTUAL MEANING: To reprimand someone verbally.

Darse su paquete
LITERAL MEANING: To give the packet.
ACTUAL MEANING: To show off.

Dejar con los colochos hechos
LITERAL MEANING: Leave (someone) with their curls made.
ACTUAL MEANING: To stand someone up or leave them waiting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like "consult with the pillow." I think that I'm going to have to say that from now on instead of "sleep on it." But I'll say it in english, my spanish is a little rocky, and people would look at me funny.