Electricity

There is a small fuse box on the shower wall. Two wires extend from this box. They are spliced into two other wires with a conservative amount of electrical tape. These two wires run into a plastic box on top of the shower head. This box contains coils through which the shower water flows.

That is how my shower water is heated.

Every week or so, one of the students here gets shocked, but I hear that it´s not enough to kill you.

The biggest risk comes when you touch the spigot to turn on the water. So, I have a lucky routine that has protected me so far. First I politely ask the spigot for mercy. Then, I clap my hands together a couple of times to build up courage. Then I reach for the spigot, and pull back. Reach and pull back. Reach and pull back. This is not out of fear. This is to trick the electricity. I don´t want it to know when I´m going to make my move.

No comments: