SOS: Send Recipes

People, I need help.

I'm getting cooked INTO. THE. GROUND. Just getting totally dominated in the kitchen.

It's not fair:

a) Nicole LIKES to cook

b) She was scarfing up recipes the whole time she was traveling in Africa and the Middle East.

Me? I once spent a month eating nothing but hot dogs for both lunch AND dinner. 36 hot dogs per week on average. I'm not kidding. And that was one of the most satisfying months of my life. I LOVED it. Hot dogs with salsa, hot dogs with pasta sauce, hot dogs with ketchup, hot dogs with a different type of salsa... all washed down by an endless fount of Creme Soda. It was awesome. My mouth is watering now just thinking about it...

...which is the problem. My whole life I've been satisfied by whatever stupid morsel of food I accidentally created in the kitchen. If it's warm and cheesy I love it, so why bother working to create something fancier?

So now I'm stuck with the cooking repertoire of a 12-year-old latch-key kid.

She's all, "I was thinking about cooking up some (insert some foreign word here) chicken in a reduction sauce and a curry for supper," And my best counter punch is, "yeah, or I could do up some hot pockets..."

There's just no contest here.

So far, we've worked through this OK. She understands that I'm a nincompoop in the kitchen, and she has agreed to teach me (or, rather, agreed not to prevent me from watching her work her magic spells) and is fine with letting me eat the proceeds if I take care of all clean-up activities. She kindly claims to like cooking all the time.

But I'd like to also contribute in the kitchen in some meaningful way. So, help me. Send me recipes. Easy ones. Involving hot dogs if possible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you need, my friend, is to be introduced to www.allrecipes.com. How about some "hotdogs wrapped in bacon" for dinner tonight?

Ok, seriously, Tom and my favorite easy dinner:
-Use the microwave to cook one cup of rice with two cups of water. Directions should be on the package and the rice won't burn I promise.
-Take a pound of tofu and cube it into little cubes (or use chicken or whatever). A little oil in a wok or frying pan, put the tofu in, let it cook till it gets all golden brown and pretty.
-Tofu out of the pan.
-A bag of frozen stir-fry veggies in the pan.
-Stir occasionally till nicely defrosted. Add tofu.
-Add Soy Vay Very Very Teriyaki sauce (http://www.soyvay.com/Its_Kosher.html).

Pile rice with veggies/tofu. Eat up!

Anonymous said...

Hey Eric, Yes you do need to be introduced to allrecipes.com, its fantastic. They have a search that you can list ingredients that you want to use and it will find recipes. As far as recipes go, my favorite one is off the back of the Meuller's Penne Rigate pasta box. I just added sliced sausage and mushrooms to it. Also, go for a quiche. They are super easy to make; eggs, cheese, some veggies or meat, throw it in a frozen pie crust and then in the oven. It looks all fancy schmancy plus you get to say "quiche" and its really yummy. Good luck in your cooking endeavor.